I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Psalm 146

Psalm 146:3-7

Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save. When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day their plans come to nothing. Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God, the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them--the LORD, who remains faithful forever. He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free.

I read this verse the other day and I keep coming back to it 3 days later. I think so often I try to wrap my mind around God and all that He is. I try to convince myself that I know everything there is to know about GOD the creator of the universe. I often try to make myself out to be smarter, wiser and more important than He. It is very easy to do that in the mission field, especially in a third world country where every one has a need of some kind that you are able to meet or help them meet most of the time.

Thankfully, God so graciously reminds me of who I am and who He is. It never fails I get to thinking that I am more important than I am and God knocks me back down to where I belong, a humbled and gracious servant of the the same God that Jacob served. How exciting to think that I will never fully understand God and His POWER. He will always be a mystery to me, and the more and more I learn of him the more and more I fall on my knees and worship him. Because I serve a God who upholds the oppressed, feeds the hungry, gives life to the lifeless, set prisoners free, is faithful forever, and is the maker of heaven and earth, the sea and everything in them.

Just a little something to think about: where does your help and hope comes from? Maybe it is time for God to knock you back down to where you belong. A humbled servant and not the creator of the heavens and earth.

Blessed am I for my help and hope is found in the Lord and NOT mortal men!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes i feel like i am forever picking myself back up. love mom

sadie said...

You know you are so blessed to get that at your age. Do you know how long it has taken me to realize that about being hummble. Do you want to hear my story cuz you know I have one. You know my pastor took another church in his home town and I have been having a rough time with it. Anyway we have a pastor that is filling in and we have them for a month at a time. The first month, we had a man that truely touched my heart, then we had a pastor that was part time and he we a banker also. The third one was a retired pastor and well all of his time was spent saying AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha. So I started calling him Dead air you know the indian head on the tv late at night. I was sitting with Aida and she was sleeping 2 weeks ago and the music pastor called me he told me that he had to preach at another church. Guess what I had to lead the singing that day. Guess what happened They picked a song that I knew that chour not the verses. I told them go ahead and sing and I hummed and smiled. He is such a wonderful being and he has such a sence of humor. Miss you. Hope you are having the time of your life Gods blessing to you and all the mercy ship people and there pt. seeya drewbe