I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Boy or Girl???

Question: Is this baby a boy or a girl? 

I was holding the above baby at the clinic admiring the cute little flowered undershirt she had on... when it hit me you just never know the sex of these babies. Baby Gap, Children's Place, Babies RuS are non existent here. Your baby wears what ever can be found at the market that has been imported from a western world. 
 
So I asked one of my translators if this baby was a boy or a girl. Just for clarification. The translator turned the babies head and looked at the ear of the child. He quickly responded that is a boy. I said no it can't be. Look at how she is dressed it is clearly a girl. I then asked another translator is this a boy or a girl. She did the same thing, she looked at the child's ear and said it is a boy. I responded by saying how can you tell the sex of a baby by looking at the ear. Is there some scientific reasoning that I am unaware of. They both said no there is no metal in that babies ear.... meaning the baby's ears were not pierced no ear rings. I still was in disbelief so I went into the clinic were the mother was at and asked her, she said it is a BOY. 

Apparently it is real easy to distinguish between a boy and a girl here. All baby girls get there ears pierced very early on in life. 

Guess you learn something new every day. 

1 comment:

mom said...

Awe how cute,
I could just sit and hold him all day LONG! How adorable even dressed as a little girl.Give him a hug from your mom.
Love you, miss you