I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Relaxed and Rejuvenated

I am just coming off a long holiday weekend. Which basically means we had 4 days off to relax and rejuvenate. A groups of 13 traveled 2 1/2 hours north to a beach town called Robertsport. There we spent 3 days and 2 night camping and enjoying the beach. It was WONDERFUL. The weather was sunny and hot, NO RAIN! We laid out, and YES!!! I am well on way to having the "African Tan" I have been longing for. We read books, sang songs, had a campfire, roasted marshmallows, took long walks along the beach, napped, and most of all just enjoyed each others company. It was so easy to see to God all around us. All you had to do is perch yourself on top of one of the many huge rocks that overlooked the sea and watch the waves come crashing in.

The beauty in simplicity.

Saturday I was walking along the beach and I ran into my little friend Emmanuel. Emmanuel is an 11 years old who lives with his father in Robertsport. He came up to me as I was sitting on the sand and asked me if I wanted to take a walk with him to some "really big" rocks a ways up the shore line. I thought to myself seems safe enough he is 11 and I can probably take him if need be..... so I agreed. As we walked he shared with me that his mother had died during the war and it was just him and his father. He asked me why I was in Liberia, and I told him then he asked me if I missed my family and I said YES!!! of course. After that he asked me the question that I have been waiting for someone to ask me..... WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO COME TO LIBERIA AND HELP US????? I was then able to share my heart with an 11 year old. Of course I had to put it into term that he could understand but it was still the "moment" I had been waiting for.

Finally after several miles of walking and chatting we reached our destination. And it was a beautiful site. On our walk back to my camp site we sang songs. He taught me a traditional African church song, and I taught him Jesus Loves Me....he LOVED that song. haha anyway over the next 2 days he came to visit me several times, each time I had PB&J sandwiches and yogurt waiting for him. I was his new best friend.

After an amazing weekend I am once again back and ready to work . Bring on another 6 weeks!


Below are a few pictures from the weekend. Please click on the Robertsport link to the right hand side to view more photos from our trip.









Emmanuel and I
The View
The beach







Beach Church





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens for PBJ's,yogurt and alittle boy named Emmanuel and you !
Love and miss you Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, such a touching story! I'm tearing up just reading it! Sounds liks you had a wonderful time on long weekend! Miss you lots! Love the Brew Crew

Anonymous said...

hey cousin jess! :) sounds like you're having a terrific time. i know that there are times when you miss friends and family terribly, but in those times remember Emmanuel and that story. what a beautiful story. you're in our thoughts and prayers. love ya!