I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Child User......

The Lady below is what I am calling a CHILD USER.......... Read on for details.


This morning when we arrived at the clinic this lady started bugging me about getting treated today. I was a bit perturbed given the fact that A. she was inside the compound some how and not out side waiting in line with the other couple hundred people who also wanted to be seen B. she thought she did not need to follow the rules and for some reason she is different and should be automatically seen C. It was 8:30 am. D. She was not in pain just being difficult.
Anyway the following events are rather funny.
I first off told the lady that no she needed to get in the line up and wait her turn. That people had been waiting in line for hours and hours and it was not fair for her to get cut in front of all of them. Surprisingly she took this news rather well and made her way outside the gate. Now mind you there were probably 200+ people waiting outside this morning to see the dentist. I started at the front of the line and made my way down and maybe 25 people in there she was. I said no cutting in line does not count. The end of the line is where you need to be. She must have knew she had done wrong because once again she did not argue but left the line and walked away. She left my mind until about 2 hours later I look out the window of the clinic and see her being brought in by the guards. I thought to myself what does she want now. It slipped my mind once again until about 2:30 this afternoon.
I went out to the waiting room to see how many people where left to register. I specifically remember the last 5 people I allowed in for the day were children. I remember this because I felt sorry for them and let them in even though we already had more than enough people to see for the day. The last two kids I let in were brother and sister and their dad brought them.
Anyway I was in the waiting room checking tickets and I reached these two kids still with dad. I come back 2 mins later and the same lady was now sitting between the little boy and his sister.
I thought you have got to be kidding me. I walked in and told Mimi the assistant coordinator what I thought was going to happen sure enough it did.
It came time for the little boy to come in and get registered and the lady brought him in. She answered all the questions gave a phone number acted like she was the best mother in the world, and then after he was done being registered she said ok now my turn I need to be seen as well. AAHA just what I thought was going to happen. I once again told the lady now out of principal that no the appointment was meant for the kid not her.
The lady talked the kids father into letting her use the boy for a chance at getting an appointment and the dad agreed. Funny thing is next up is the girl and they had the same last name and address but different phone numbers. I told the receptionist to change the number on the little boys chart in case we need to contact them for any reason so we wouldn't have that crazy ladies number and not the boys.
Next funny part is 10 mins later I walk out and tell the random people who are hanging around that we will not be able to see them but I can give them an appointment for the next available day. They all agreed including the lady. So after I gave the lady her appointment card she got up and left. I then said to the kids father. I thought that was the boys mother as I was laughing he laughed back and said no she just wanted an appointment. :)
CHILD USER............ hahaha
Above the lady and the kids she was attempting to use.
Oh well it gave all of us a good laugh.
Tomorrow 4am my time I am heading across Benin, into Togo, and then into Ghana. 14 of us are heading to the second tallest waterfall in Africa for the weekend. It should be an excellent way to spend Easter weekend. Keep us in your prayers.

2 comments:

mom and dad said...

Have fun and be safe take lots of pictures. Have a great and blessed Easter.
Ps did you get your Easter package?
enjoy your 25 boxes of sugar free jello no chocolate bunny this year!
Love Mom and Dad

Unknown said...

That is so frustrating! It sounds like you have such a great attitude about such things, though! Way to go, Jessica, and thanks for the humorous portrayal.