I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Sunday, October 25, 2009

The dust on my feet.


In just 44 days I will be sailing up the Atlantic Ocean coast with Africa being the blur in the far off horizon and visions of home on my mind. You might ask if I think this will be my last time in Africa, and I would have to respond with I don't know...but I hope not. Today I was basking  in the hot African sun listening to some tunes when a song came on... with the following lyrics. 
now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let you go
I am on a plane across a distant sea
But I carry you in me
and the dust on, the dust on, the dust on my feet
I will tell the world, I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them. 

I must have listened to this song about 15 times this afternoon, and the lines that kept beating at my heart were Now that I have seen, I am responsible. I carry you in me and the dust on my feet. I will keep my word I will tell them. I started thinking of all those who I have crossed paths with in the last year and a half. Faces of my dear little orphanage kids still in Liberia started flashing through my head, patients, day volunteers, and crew members names started passing through my thoughts. 

Then it hit me, just because I leave the ship doesn't me I leave all that I have seen behind. I am still responsible for what I have seen. I am still called to love people and provide for those in need. Now if that is in Africa or America or somewhere else around the world I don't know, and if that is in 6 months, 2 years, or even 10 years I don't know that either. But I do know that if I let all that I have seen go, the dust that is on me feet will with time fade to a mere memory of that time I spent in Africa.

So when I get on that plane and cross the distant sea the dust will still be on my feet, and when I step off that plane in a land far away from where I am tonight the names on my heart will still be there. And that is when my faith will really have to be put into deeds. That is when I will really have to keep my word and tell others of the dust that is currently and forever will be on my feet. Now that I have seen I am responsible. 

As the body without the spirit is dead, so is faith without deeds is dead. James 2:26

 

1 comment:

Emily said...

That was beautiful Jessica, just beautiful. It was very challenging to me as well. Thank you.