I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday's Patient Pick.. The First and The Last

Today was the last day of treating patient at the Dental Clinic and it was bitter sweet. We had so many patient waiting outside the gate of our clinic that as we drove away for the ship at 5:00pm many were still standing there begging us to help them some of them even had tears running down their faces. That is hard to take anytime and as I sit here and type this I am emotionally and physically drained. However as I have said many times, God knows when you have had enough and he knows just the way to ease your mind. Which brings me to my LAST Friday patient pick Mousaha. 

Mousaha has a rather long history with us. His chart reads patient number 52. He came to see us for the first time on November 27 our first day of clinic. He presented with a rather severe mandible fracture. He is the same man I talked about in a story on my blog back in April. The patient featured on the short dental video the ship put out many months ago. The same man I have spotted several times around town while I was out and about..every time resulted in him greeting me with a smile and a hand shake. 

Well today when he walked though the gate, I was greeted with a hug in addition to his huge smile.  He came in today for his final check and Praise God he is healed completely, including his new denture that replaced 7 teeth that needed to be removed for the surgery, and oh man is he happy with the results. 

As we did our last hugs and smiles to one another and he turned his back to walk out the gate for the last time, a part of me felt so complete. Not only is he my Friday patient pick... He is my Favorite patient ever pick.

His first appointment was our first day of clinic and his last appointment was our last day of clinic. 10 months of treatment and finally his chart reads DISCHARGED.


His charts full of clinical notes from all of his appointments.

No comments: