I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Putting my Running Shoes on!

I was driving home from work Monday and noticed a billboard that was advertising the 2nd semi- Annual Marathon taking place right here in Cotonou. Once I arrived back on board I talked to a few people and we have decided to participate. Now usually one would prepare for this for months before attempting a race of such difficulty. However we don't have months we have 10 days. The race is March 14 and a group of us from the ship will be running the half Marathon. 13 miles. We figured this would make for a good memories as well as a good pictures. Personally I am hoping to get a souvenir t-shirt out of it as well. Carmen and I have a goal of finishing in 2 1/2 hrs, but I was doing a few calculations in my head and I am thinking 3 hrs is more like it. haha

This will be my first half marathon and I will be running it in 90 degree weather with 100% humidity. I can't think of a better way to spend next Saturday than running through the streets of Benin.

This is a picture of my roommate Carmen and I after a hard night of training.!.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Sounds like you are a-gluttoning for punishment! Hope it does net you some fun && enjoyable photos; but it sure does sound particularly grueling! Hope you can find enough water along the way to keep you healthy -- it is definitely better to finish.

Anonymous said...

You silly girl you

Unknown said...

that's very cool Jess. be sure to drink plenty plenty water!

megan petock said...

that sounds fun!

I use to fun in Liberia (a near death experience every time) and running at home just, well, isn't quite so exciting :)

good luck!

broccolilover said...

yay for running! good luck darlin! an avid runner like u, I'm sure you will be fine :D it's addicting though, next thing you know, a marathon! :D have fun ladies :D

Unknown said...

Holy jam, inquiring minds must be told! How did it go? Hope everyone && everything made it through the match o.k.

Eager to hear,