I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Monday, March 16, 2009

Stupid Mango Sap

Saturday I woke up with huge, swollen lips and my roommate said it looked like I had received botox injections. Throughout Saturday and all day Sunday I started to develop really bad sores and a nasty rash around my mouth and on my lips. I had no CLUE what was going on and I spent a few hours on line last night researching all the possibilities. Well today the mystery was solved.

Come to find out Friday night I ate a mango that I had bought off the street and forgot to wash it before I ate it. Apparently the outside skin and sap of a mango contains a chemical called Urushiol. That same chemical is also found in the sap of poison ivy, sumac, and oak.

Soooo I have poison mango haha on my lips. It is starting to crust up and slowly go away, but it hurt so bad last night that I smeared my lips with topical numbing jelly from the dental clinic to momentarily take away the pain.

I went to the doctor today and he prescribed me cream to help heal my sore funny looking lips.

So for the future..... Wash your mango's.... and don't let the outside skin touch your lips.

I always learn the hard way. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess,
Why do the most ridiculous things happen to you!! Grandma called to tell me about your little problem and I thought I better check this out. With you we never know just what might happen next! Hope things settle down sooon with this funny but not so funny situation.
Love Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

there's an ongoing joke with all taiwanese about foreigners who don't know how to eat or what parts to eat of the fruit here. i've had to learn a lot about teh fruits and veggies here. many are so different from what we regularly get in the states. but they taste so good! hope your lips are feeling much better by the morning! :)

Anonymous said...

How are you feeling today? Hope that your healing up better today. I will be glad to talk with you on Wednesday. Thinking of you and missing you. Ps we seen Nate and Kristen Brewer in St Louis Saturday.