I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Week 1

Well my first half week is over. Thursday I worked in the dental clinic, I saw seven patients. Friday we went to a school and taught health education and brushing. When we first arrived at the school we were informed that one of the teachers had died last night. That would explain the tears running down the faces of the students. After we were done with the teaching we were thanked for coming. The principal of the school said he was so thankful for us, for the simple fact that even if for a moment the students had something to think about besides their resent loss. It was encouraging!

Saturday I went to the University of Liberia. What a different environment than a University in the States. The students willing go to class on Saturday and Sundays. I even got the chance to sit on an accounting class. Alaina will be so proud of me! Today I attended an African style church service in the Ward. What an awesome thought when you think of all the different ways there are to worship God. I have a feeling that I am going to enjoy African church services. It was so full of life and thanksgiving, a true example of lifting praises to God. Nothing elaborate just a time to simply thank God for all his blessing.

Not much planned for this week. I have a few new crew meetings tomorrow. Friday the dental team is going back out to school. I shall see what the week has in store for me.

I would be lying if I said there have not been times this week that I have said. God I think I might have misunderstood your call to go………. But I would also be lying if I said I thought this was going to be easy at first. I was reading this morning in a very good book called Crazy Love by Francis Chan “Having Faith often means doing what others see as crazy. Something is wrong when our lives make sense to unbelievers. “

Take for instance Noah who” by faith….. when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir oh the righteousness that comes by faith” Heb 11:17

Noah spent 120 years building an ark and warning others of the impending judgment. Suppose the flood had never come………… I think Noah had several several days of doubt…but he stayed true to his faith and his calling…. I will do the same. :)

Things to be praying for:
Adjustment
Making Friends- when you go into an environment where you know no one… It makes you appreciate your friend’s sooooo much more! I miss them already!
The patients the crew is treating
Safety

HAPPY FATHERS DAY DAD!!!!!!!!! LOVE YOU


Until next time…… goodbye

Here are some photos from my trip to the University.




View of Monrovia from the boat




Mom would you like to cut hair in this shop?
A tree is growing out of this old building


The kids love photos!
notice the gun shot holes in the side of this apartment building......from the war





A class and it's professor



Muslim studies department at the University
dorms/offices


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jess,
hi saw your pictures down to aunt kathys house.seems like you really enjoying yourself but i feel sorry for the way of life they have. It seemslike they are happy maybe they know more then us who have plenty. not much going on here same old thing grandpa is probably in bed. I need to get home soon to watch my show army wifes. I will try to keep updated with things by your mom and kathy. will check on phone so maybe we can call you soon
love grandme and grandpadnhca

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess it's Nick. AHHHHHHHH SEEEEVIIINNNYAAAAAA Belisi wa na!!!
Just sittin at work thinking of you and checked out your blog for the first time. Man those little kids are skinny, makes me think of those commercials "for only a penny a day you can give a child a drink of water..." Are you going to visit other countries besides Liberia? It seems like they could use a lot of help there. Maybe your mom could come visit and cut hair at that shack for a little bit. Alright I better get back to looking like I'm doing something important, see ya
Nick

P.S.
Here's a little story about a man named Jonah that was scared to answer his calling

From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God. He said:
"In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me. From the depths of the grave I called for help, and you listened to my cry. You hurled me into the deep, into the very heart of the seas, and the currents swirled about me; all your waves and breakers swept over me.

I said, 'I have been banished from your sight; yet I will look again toward your holy temple. The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me; seaweed was wrapped around my head. To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever.

But you brought my life up from the pit, O LORD my God.

"When my life was ebbing away,
I remembered you, LORD, and my prayer rose to you,to your holy temple. "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs. But I, with a song of thanksgiving,will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. Salvation comes from the LORD."