I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Faces of Frances Gaskin














Above you will find a few of the faces that make up the children who live at the Frances Gaskin Rescue Home, an orphanage that I visit on Saturday mornings. I first started going about 2 months ago and I have been making it a regular part of my Saturday mornings ever since. I remember the first time I went I was a little disappointed in myself when I realized that it took me 3 months to get there in the first place. The kids are so lovely. I adore all of them. It is hard to describe the feelings of joy and excitement that I experience when we pull up in the Land Rovers and outside on the front porch stands about 30 kids all jumping up and down because they are so excited to see us coming. I have about 10 kids that are really close to my heart and every time I go they are waiting for me. Once they spot me in the Land Rover they all say Jessica is here. I think the kids are doing more for me than I am doing for them.

Here is a little more background info on the home. Frances Gaskin is operated by a Christian Liberian couple Evelyn and Emmanuel. There are 33 kids total at the home 3 of which are the couples birth children. Emmanuel’s grandmother started this home during the war. She noticed a bunch of wondering kids in the neighborhood so she decided to start taking care of them. After her death Evelyn and Emmanuel took over responsibilities of the home and named it Frances Gaskin Rescue Home after Emmanuel’s grandmother. Within the last few years they have built a 4 room house. One bedroom for the boys, one bedroom for the girls, a bedroom for Evelyn and Emmanuel, and a kitchen/ dinning room/ all purpose room; each of the kids rooms have 2 double bed mattresses that sit on the floor. All the children sleep on these beds. You can do the math. That makes for one cozy nights sleep.

The couple receives 5$ a month per kids from the government and they also receive 2 meals of rice a day for the kids through an orphanage relief organization. Could you imagine taking care of your children on 2 meals a day and 5$ a month, WOW what a task they have before them. There is also a 4 room school house on the premises where the children and other neighborhood kids attend classes.

Emmanuel and Evelyn are amazing. They have such hearts for God and these children. I had to ask Evelyn one day which three were her birth children. She said to me “you could not tell could you?” I said “No” she then replied “That is the way we want it, we want each of the kids to know they are equally important to us.”

I Thank God for people like Evelyn and Emmanuel, who are willing to give up everything for these children. They are currently trying to build latrines and they are also trying to dig a well so they have clean drinking water. Both of these projects take lots of money, something that they don’t have. Pray that I can seek God’s guidance on how I can help this home and these children. Evelyn told me once “This life is not easy, but God is faithful, and I would not have it any other way.”

For more pictures from Frances Gaskin click on the link to the right titled Frances Gaskin Home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I to thank God for people like Eveyln and Emmanuel for taking in these beautiful children I'm sure they really enjoy your visits! I"m sure you have been a blessing to them. I love the pictures the kids are so cute I bet you wish you could bring them all home with you!Thanks for keeping us updated on your journey. Your in my thoughts and prayers,love ya, Tammy

Anonymous said...

What a blessing this family is to all these children. Oh how we forget that God is everywhere. Its a great big world.

Andrew said...

Jess, as one who's known those kids for almost a year, I can testify to the change I've seen in them since you've started going. Very cool to see.

As for wondering how to help, my guys can teach you how to dig a well by hand if you like...? :)