I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Friday, November 7, 2008

Thanksgiving Day Blessings

Yesterday Liberia celebrated Thanksgiving, and given the fact that at this very moment there are 33 nations represented on board, all of which celebrate different holidays on different days the ship doesn’t single out and celebrate any specific holiday for any specific country. So with that being said, I will not be celebrating Thanksgiving on the 27th of November unless I can get in good and attend the US UN Thanksgiving Day Celebration at the US Embassy….which is very likely. :) I hope

Anyway so in honor of Thanksgiving here in Liberia, the crew members on board the Africa Mercy had a Thanksgiving Day Celebration! It started with a yummy meal and then was followed up by a fantastic time of worship and celebration. During the service the Academy kids did their rendition of a living cornucopia which was very cute and at another point in the service 33 different people said a prayer in their mother language. It was so awesome to hear Gods people give shouts of praise and thanksgiving in their native language. It was a very very very small glimpse at how multicultural Heaven will be.

After that we had fellowship and enjoyed ice cream and fudge. It was a day filled with lots of good food and lots of fun with friends…just like at home, and I only missed home once during the entire day….it wasn’t when I was eating and thinking how much I will miss my grandpas pumpkin dessert delight, or how I would miss my moms oh so good pecan pie and super moist turkey, or my grandmas mashed potatoes and rolls, or my Aunt Kathy’s cherry cheesecake or how I would miss sitting with my mom on the couch and looking through the Thanksgiving Day adds planning out our shopping route and wish lists for Black Friday, or even how I will miss camping out at Best Buy with Kayla throughout the entire night just for a computer that in the end we don’t have a chance at getting anyhow….. or the nap I would be taking after lunch with my dad napping in his easy chair beside me, and it wasn’t even when I thought about how much my brother and I LOVE the parade… it was when I was thanking God for all my blessing especially the ones He has provided me this year…and as I was praying all the faces of my family started to pass through my head and that is when I realized all God has given me. That is when I really missed home for the first time.

I will miss Thanksgiving day and all the traditions that come with it., but instead of being down about not getting to eat turkey and pie I will spend the day thanking God for all the special blessing he has placed in my life, all my family and friend whom I miss but will see soon! :)


Below are pictures from dinner and also a picture of the huge table of harvest that we thanked God for providing. After the celebration we were all able to take something of the table to enjoy.



HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


They will celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness. Psalm 145:7







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We will miss you too. I think for Christmas dinner we will have our traditional Thanksgiving day dinner and our traditional Christmas dinner all together. Well, maybe we should just have Mercy Ships home away from home traditional PB&J. Your Thanksgiving day dinner looked really good considering what you usually get. Oh !let us bless the grub always !!!!!!
LOVE YA,
Mom and Dad
ps. little brother slayed another deer today he says its a trophy deer. That means another deer head mounted on the wall God love him he is so cute!!!