I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Monday, July 7, 2008

Sleeping in Church



Meet Angie. Yesterday I went to the church service in the ward and had the privilege of getting to sit by and hang out with Ms. Angie. As soon as I sat down she cuddled up next to me, once the song service was under way she thought she would help me, actually more like tell me how to clap my hands to the music. During the sermon time she sat on my lap and laid her head on my chest, as I sat there and rubbed her back I was thinking off all of you at home and thanking God for blessing me with the funds and support to be there in that very moment. After about 5 minuets of me rubbing her back she fell asleep and was snoring rather loudly. When the service was almost over she woke up and I looked down and saw a large spot of drools on my shirt. I thought to myself thank you God for this little girl and thank you for giving me this special moment.

How blessed I am to be here and oh how I am loving every second of it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica, thanks for sharing those special moments It brought me to tears. I thank God for you and your willingness to serve Him in a place so far away from home. I'm so proud of you!! Your in my thoughts and prayers everyday, love ya, Tammy

Anonymous said...

Jess,
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve the people there through our support . What could be more special then to get the chance to experience God through the compassion of this beautiful little girl.
ps you made me cry too!!!
love mom

Anonymous said...

That's a cool story Jess. I can't think of a better person than you to be an ambassador of god's love and american generosity in Africa. Just the daily interactions you have with people over there can have an impact that you may not even realize. People seeing you in the street are going to know that you aren't from Liberia, and when they see you doing charitable deeds and taking time to speak with the locals, I'm sure they have a better perception of Americans and Christians. Keep doing God's work Jess and stay SAFE.
-Nick

P.S.
I read one of Mom's e-mails that she sent you the other day. First off she never told me about your friend getting stuck by the needle and I am very sorry to hear about that, you better be extra careful. Secondly, how do you read what she types? I could only decipher about half of what Mom was trying to say, I think the only word she spelled right was "the". Just kidding, but I am going to try and help her with her typing skills before I leave for school.