I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

UNO CARDS !.!

People have been asking me all week are you glad to be back? I keep saying yes, even though until tonight I have not been all that excited about my return. Tonight I went down to look in my office for my ID card and on my way back to my room I ran into this little boy who was hooping around on his good leg and crutches while he dragged his casted leg behind him.

He was kicking this huge soccer ball down the hallway the same time I was walking down it. I stopped and kicked the ball back and forth with him for a few minutes and thought to myself I must go I don't have a lot of time. Just as I was getting ready to walk away he reached deep into is pocket and pulled out UNO cards. He said in his best broken English.... "Lets play UNO." To myself I was thinking man I was just about to go up to work out, then I have this to do and that to do...... only a few minutes that all I have is a few minutes.

He hopped and I walked over to this platform like hiding place under the stair way where we sat and began to play UNO. About one minute into the game he said to me MERCI MERCI BEAUCOUP and pointed to his casted post surgery leg that was propped up on the over sized soccer ball. It was at that very moment when my attitude of missing home switched over to I am GLAD to be back and nothing else on my things to do list matters at this every moment except playing UNO.

I had never ran into that boy before, and I certainly did not perform the more than likely life changing surgery on his leg. Regardless his heart was so full of gratitude that he was wanting to thank anyone he came in contact with.

We played 5 games he of course won 4 out of the 5. He was so cute when he had a move he would slap the cards down with attitude and confidence. He knew he was good...and I was not playing the awww lets let the hurt little African boy win the game. I tried to beat him but I couldn't.

Isn't it funny how the simplest things can be used for the good. How in a moment your attitude can be turn around. Thank Goodness for that moment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back, Jessica! Glad to see that you heart has rejoined your person :-)
Thanks for this lovely story; I'm quite happy for you.

mom said...

Awe, and for that very reason is why you leave your family your friends and the comforts of home to serve a mighty God and to be his hands and feet to those you serve in Africa. We miss you too but God knows you and loves you more. He knew you needed that tender touch at that very moment.
Love,Mom
ps I will reread this blog when I miss you ,it sure was quite around this house this week love you!