I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Monday, February 16, 2009

Hitting the paved sidewalks :)

Saturday I spent my first day out and about. We left around 12pm and wondered back to the ship around 5:30pm. My brief first impression of Cotonou parts of the city are nicer, cleaner, and more developed than Liberia. Other parts are just as poor. I have found that knowing French is important and I need to learn at least the basics so I can meet these people where they are at. For now I will go everywhere with my French Phrase book..... hoping and praying that my French speaking roommate can be of assistants in teaching me a thing or two about this language.


The pictures are compliments of my roommate Carmen and other crew members who were out and about this weekend. I did not take my camera so I am glad they did. :)

The ship docked in Cotonou

The fishing dock located just to the left of ours.

A goat just hanging out on the sidewalk. Totally Normal.
In Liberia this would say no pepe here....... in Benin it says Interdit d'uriner ici.


The streets
Look at all the lovely produce they have here. :)
City Street



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks alot different then Liberia. I can't believe the street lights and the paved streets. Have a good week hope you get the clinic up and going soon.
Love you Mom and Dad