I serve with Mercy Ships. Everything here, however, is my personal opinion and is not read or approved before it is posted. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of Mercy Ships

Friday, February 27, 2009

TGIF!

When I stepped on board tonight at 5:15 pm I was so glad it was Friday. What a week. We spent Monday- Wednesday working hard setting up and Thursday and Friday working hard seeing our first round of patients. When we arrived on Wednesday morning there were approx. 350 people waiting for us. There was no line no order just a mass of people who had been waiting for only God knows how long. I tried to explain to them that we were only going to be able to see 50 people, and they were not happy about that. I spent the next 2 1/2 hours sorting through patients, lining people up, telling people to come back another day, and telling people no I am sorry we can not see you today please come back. I remember tell this one lady after she had just told me.... but I need my tooth out. Madam, we can not see all the people of Benin today. She laughed and agreed. I spent the rest of the day refusing patients, and assuring them that we will be in operation until December. CRAZY!

Today when we arrived there were our 50 patients that we had given appointments to on Thursday for today plus an additional 80 people plus the 530+ eye patients. (The eye team works at our facility on Fridays) We arrived and thought here we go again. Another crazy day and to top it all off 2 of our dental units stopped working. haah! What can you do. At the end of the day the patients were treated and we were tired and happy to go home.

I with out a doubt have seen Gods hand at work this entire week. I can't believe the strength and wisdom He has given me in just one week. I told the team at the end of today GOOD JOB and next week is a new week! ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND.
Things will get better. It will take a month I am guessing for people to start to understand our system of operation. The team did Fantastic and were real troupers.I know it will be a smooth routine within a couple of weeks. Until then I will continue to be a crazy mad women running around like a chicken with its head cut off. :)
Enjoy your weekend I know I will. At the pool I think.



This picture does not do the mass crowd justice. However this was all I was bale to snap. This would be a picture of the 80 people we did not get to see today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

enjoy your weekend. sounds like you deserve it!!! ps, i know it's not the same as your orphanage, but we're going to "our" orphanage this weekend. we're taking about 40 ppl from our church for service projects around the facilities there. and not to mention, we'll have plenty of time to play wit the kids! take care! love ya!